Instant Challenge : 100th Floor Cathedral
Your TASK is to build a tower that will support weights at certain heights.
You will have 6 minutes to build your tower and place weights.
There is a table with weights and materials to build your tower.
Procedure: (6 minutes)
- Using only the materials provided, build a tower that will support weights at certain
- You should place weights at this time.
- Your structure should support weights at 10 in., 20 in., or 30 in. above the table.
- The weights must be held for 10 seconds after time ends in order to receive score.
- 4 chenille stems
- 4 craft sticks
- 4 note cards
- 4 mailing labels
- 4 toothpicks
- 4 balloons
- 1 piece of aluminum foil
- 4 rubber bands
- piece of string
- 4 Styrofoam cups
- 4 plastic cups
- 4 straws
- 1 sheet of newspaper
You will be provided with a ruler that may not be damaged and may not be part of your
The weights may not be damaged and may not have the mailing labels attached to them.
Scoring: You will receive
- A. 2, 4, or 6 points (60 points maximum), respectively, for each weight supported 10 in., 20 in., or 30 in. above the table.
- B. Up to 20 points for the creativity and development of your solution.
- C. Up to 20 points for how well your team works together.
Download the full challenge here! Thanks to our friends from Creative Iowa for this challenge.